Sunday, September 10, 2006

Day 57: Home



55.04 mi max 41.0 4:23.20 avg 12.5

That is all that I have written in my journal, just the statistics for the day. I don't remember much of the ride. I do know that I spent some time in the morning trying to figure out logistics for buying a car. I remember lunch at Papa Gino's, burning the roof of my mouth on the cheese. I learned that the song "Mary Had A Little Lamb" was written in Sterling, MA - and there's a monument for the lamb on the common. I remember that I wanted to be home, regardless of the renewed viciousness of my saddle sores, regardless of the final hill (which I STILL had to stop on), regardless of the fact that if I wanted to sleep on my bed, I'd have to unpack stuff and find a place to PUT my bed.

I remember seeing Peter walking towards me on my new street, welcoming me home. He'd half-expected helicopters and flashing lights...but I'd rather just appear quietly (which is what I did). He asked me, "So, what's next?" I said, glibly, "Oh, the Appalachian Trail, but not this week." Before I do that...there are bills, laundry, dishes...all the things of "ordinary life" that have to be taken care of.

Madison came home, because Andy is the best! School is in session, and life has settled back into a different kind of insanity, a more complex version. I can't wait to get on my bike again. It's been a great trip.

No comments: