Sunday, September 10, 2006

Day 55: Entering Massachusetts!


60.94 mi 47.0 mph 5:02.19 avg 12.1

I totally did not want to ride today. I dragged my butt getting out of the hotel (after a very nice buffet breakfast).

The hills were, well, hilly - in Bigelow Hollow State Park, there was one on which I struggled to break THREE miles an hour. My shoulder started hurting early on, too. When I called Erik at 11:45, I was very nearly ready to ask to be picked up. He was off to a hike, though...instead of asking for a ride, I resolved to muddle onward.

When I broke spoke #5, I wasn't all that upset. It was, of course, on the drive train side, so there was nothing I could do. I tried calling several people whose numbers have the misfortune of being stored in my phone, finally coming across Bob's. Ironically, he was out kayaking but his son Anthony was home...so he came and rescued me. For the record, we did try to fix the spoke, but just didn't have the right tools (Anthony brought with him a whole arsenal of a tool box). He drove me to Bicycle Alley in Worcester, and then to his roommate's party for a quick snack before I got back on the road to Berlin.

Around 5:30 or so, I let myself into Erik's house, took a shower, and decided to nap...I didn't move until after 11 (I smelled the food cooking). We had a late dinner of chicken and broccoli. Erik took one look at me and said, "That wasn't enough, was it." It was much more a statement than a question. A large bowl of spaghetti solved that problem in short order, and I went to bed a happy camper...and I wasn't even camping!

No comments: