Sunday, September 10, 2006

Day 56: Running out of Road





75.63 mi max 35.5 6:20.04 avg 11.9

I did it! I officially biked all the way across the US. I've run out of eastbound road. I could go further east, I suppose, if I went all the way to Eastport or Lubec, up in Maine, but I started by dipping my rear wheel in the Pacific and ended by putting my front wheel in Pleasure Bay in South Boston, in the Atlantic. I can't go further east without going significantly further north.

I had intended to leave Erik's by 7. At 10:30, I finally pulled out, after a yummy pancake breakfast. I should mention that the rain did nothing to hasten my departure. The terrain was far gentler than it has been, but I've worked my body really hard and it just hasn't been able to recover.

The sky did clear...it was exciting to be visiting places I'd been before. The Concord Scout House...I stopped at Wheelworks and bought a new tire (something that needed to be done). I called Nate as I went by Walden Pond, so we did some catching up - that was awesome. Plus, it was watermelon day (check out what Thoreau is holding). I'm home.

Because I'd spent so long moseying to Lexington, I didn't get to spend as much time with my Russian family as I'd have liked. It was still great to see them for the time that I did. I'll just have to bike back here!

As I was cruising along the bike path at 16 mph tonight, I realized that I'd never dreamed, back when I was commuting from home in Lexington to work in Boston, that I'd ever ride those trails as part of a cross-country adventure. Not when I was struggling "up" the hill. I'm not even sure that I noticed the incline this evening.

So, only one question remains: What's next?

No comments: