Sunday, September 10, 2006

Day 48: Good things don't HAVE to end...






53.33 mi max 38.5 3:53.53 avg. 13.7

For the record, my average was over 14 until I hit the city. We had to ride on the sidewalks, and the pedestrians here don't move like normal pedestrians. They're kind of like slugs...except that I'm not allowed to squish them. Weather was fantastic, although last night I almost froze to death. Not really, but by morning, I was wearing my long sleeve shirt, my leggings, my hat, and had slipped inside my fleece liner and was wearing my thick wool socks. I'd have been much happier in my 20 deg. bag. Everyone made fun of me this morning...but it took the first 5 miles before I even started feeling warm.

Lunch was at the old postal pavillion. There's a former Big Rider who owns a Greek restaurant, so he always feeds the Big Riders their last lunch. It was good!

Debbie & I rode to the finish line together. I'll miss my new friends!

Charlie V. said almost exactly the same thing at the end that he did at the beginning: "We aren't going to talk too much here because you won't remember what we're going to say anyway." We received our certificates of completion and handshakes, and then moved en masse to the hotel to pick up our bags. That was it.

I gave most of my stuff to Justin, and packed my remaining stuff into the back end of Katie's parents' car. Once we got to the hotel, there was a bit of small talk, and then Katie's parents and younger daughter decided to go out for a while so that we could take a quick snooze. That nap was the best ever! I slept for about 3 hours - Katie was out for over 5. I even left the room a couple of times and she didn't even roll over.

For dinner, Brian & I went to Fuddrucker's in Chinatown after wandering aimlessly for a long time. He's funny - he used his stern teacher-voice to tell me to call or email when I got home, and to Be Careful. Katie met us in Chinatown, and they went to see the monuments at night, while I went back to the hotel (after all, tomorrow's a riding day - I don't want to stay out too late!)

No comments: