Friday, July 14, 2006

Day 16: Wyoming....why not?








83.30 mi 36.5 max 6:27.49 avg. 12.9mph

This evening, we're in Wyoming. I'm finding it difficult to maintain my theory that Wyoming is a conspiracy theory. I mean...I've never met anyone from WY. I've never heard of anyone going to WY. When I was in Idaho doing trail work, I never saw a sign on the trail saying "You are now entering Wyoming" - for all I knew, I had stayed in Idaho the whole time (actually, I still maintain that I never left ID). Finally, when I was on top of Table Mountain, someone pointed in the direction of where Wyoming might have been, but there were only clouds and fog. Hence my belief that Wyoming was a made-up place.

Now though, having seen the state sign, I must participate in the conspiracy by pretending to believe that Wyoming does exist.

This morning's ride began with the last little bit of Montana. The first 60 miles were an almost imperceptible incline, most of which I rode alone. There was a little headwind, but nothing terrible. At Anna's stop, right on the WY-MT supposed border, Bob (in the picture) caught up to me and stayed with me for the rest of the day. We hauled some serious tail on the downhill section, averaging around 20 mph. It's great to be able to draft behind a stronger rider, because it cuts down on the amount of work (pedaling) I have to do. Maybe one day I'll be strong enough to pull other riders along in a paceline (you know how when you are driving along and sometimes you'll see 3 or 4 or 5 (or more) riders riding really fast, one RIGHT BEHIND another? That's a paceline).

We rode for the last time on the Mass Pike (I-90) today...that's exciting! I don't think I could ever get used to riding on interstates, even though the shoulders are so much wider than many secondary roads.

Our accomodations were at a KOA campground. Some people decided to head into town for dinner, taking the shuttle or riding bikes. After riding 80 miles, the Chuck Wagon was the perfect distance from my tent - less than fifty yards. Who could resist dinner made by the chef, a round gentleman wearing suspenders AND a belt to hold up his shorts (you never can be too sure). It was definitely the best cheese buffalo burger I've ever had. Except for the one at Bub's.

I'm much more worried about tomorrow. I left this morning at 6:15...only fifteen minutes after breakfast opened...and still, many people passed me. I'm aiming for the same game plan tomorrow, except I'll leave a little sooner (hopefully, I'll sleep well - I had a semi-nap this afternoon after I rode). Everyone is talking about pacelines and headwinds. At our meeting this evening, staff Mark told us that we'd be facing a 5-15 mph headwind for most of the day.

Eeeek.

No comments: