Sunday, July 09, 2006

Day 10: the first REAL century...almost




99.67 mi max 32.0 mph 8:46.10 avg 11.3

I did it today...that alone was a miracle! Deb & I started out together. We were passed by 3 people, and thought we'd done well getting out ahead of everyone. Apparently it wasn't good enough. That was actually ok, because we saw 5 mountain goats....very, incredibly cool!

After a stop for a huckleberry milkshake, Deb & Eric K pulled ahead, and later on, I only saw Eric at a rest stop. Again, I was on my own.

About this time two years ago, I was in graduate school, taking a course that was heavily infused with Myers-Briggs tests & analysis. I'd taken the quizzes before, and had almost always scored around 95% introverted...but in grad school, I finally managed a perfect score: 100% introverted. It's probably a good thing that I am comfortable with silence and with being by myself for long periods of time.

The thunderstorm took a long time to build...our route headed straight into the gaping maw of the storm. Thunder and impressive lightning and a headwind to beat ALL headwinds. Not only did I get totally soaked, I also mostly dried before I got back to camp.

Dinner was good - spaghetti & sauce, fruit salad, bread & the most delicious chocolate cream pie ever. I skipped the pie place that was on-route...I just really wanted to get into camp BEFORE they started serving dinner.

This evening was extremely entertaining: about half of the guys have gotten mohawks. Some of the women talked about it...but like typical women, more talk and less action :) Hopefully I'll be able to steal someone else's picture and post it here!

No comments: