Thursday, July 27, 2006

Day 31: Hurray for getting lost!





98.45 mi max 49.0 6:19.20 avg 15.6

Even with 30 miles of rather steeply rolling hills, I feel like I did really, really well today! It's probably good that those hills were at the beginning - after mile 30, things flattened out again (back onto Rt 14). Yeah, I hit 49.0 again...I'm hoping that at least once on this trip I hit 50.0 mph. Going that fast is almost like skydiving (not that I know from personal experience) but the wind just whips the scream right out of your throat.

Today was just short of a century because I was following Brian. Our paths crossed at Mark's checkpoint, and I started mindlessly trailing behind. Because I'd pedaled pretty hard in the morning, I had worn myself out a little more than on previous centuries, so it was good to draft. It turned out that we kind of got lost by missing a turn. We ended up back on Rt 14, and thereby avoided a 1/2 mile steep (& nasty) climb (FINE by me!!!).

Our midway checkpoint was at a petting zoo - lots of goats, which made me happy! (I grew up on a goat farm)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, That's a beautiful baby ass! Thanks for the donkey photo. A