Thursday, July 27, 2006

Day 28: New Ulm to Owatonna




71.75 mi max 32.0 5:10.57 avg 13.8

Today's ride was perfect - just the right length, about 75-80 F, with a tailwind. Not, perhaps, the most interesting scenery, since we spend virtually the whole day following Rt. 14. We went through Eagle Lake, the big city of Mankato, and Janesville. Those are the only ones that I remember. And there was a really big climb before the Minnesota River, and I did it! I've probably been getting stronger all along, but now it's finally enough of a difference that I notice.

Dave F, Larry S, Jim & I stopped at an old fashioned Dairy Queen - like the three in New England. All they serve is ice cream. In the west, it's standard for DQ to carry typical fast food fare: burgers, fries & all the rest, in addition to soft serve. The woman who owned the shop was really cool. She said that she saw a bunch of us riders going through, so she opened her shop almost an hour and a half early. She let us use her bathroom, and she had cold, filtered water for us...and of course, ice cream!

Deb's having such a hard time - not just because of her knee. It's as much psychological because she doesn't know the extent of her damage. I am very strongly reminded of my own time on crutches, with my sprained ankle. Getting around on crutches is so different, from getting in and out of a car to going shopping to even using a public restroom. Deb's going to a motel for the evening.

Tonight, we are at the Owatonna fairgrounds. I got in fairly early, and played a game of Cosmic Wimpout with Deb & Eric C. It's kind of nice to work hard early in the morning, and then spend the afternoon relaxing!

No comments: