Thursday, July 27, 2006

Day 27: Rest day in New Ulm

This was certainly not how I'd planned my day. Last night, Deb & I decided to be roommates, so that Carol & Ellen could room together. When I got in for the night, Deb was on the floor, on her mattress, and crying. I found out that some of the guys had played a stupid prank involving a dead chipmunk...and Deb ended up falling on the floor, off the top bunk. Anna had come in to take a look at Deb's injured knee, and we ended up talking for a long time about spirituality & faith, etc.

This morning, Deb woke up very scared because her knee wasn't working right at all. Every time she tried to stand on it, it buckled under her. I went to Paula, who drove Deb & me to the New Ulm emergency room. Basically, the X-ray shows no broken bone, and things are fairly stable - there are no bone fragments which would indicate the tendon pulled bone fragments when it snapped. I hope so much that Deb can ride again with us!

After a trip to the pharmacy & store, we went back to the dorms. I headed straight back out so that I could accomplish some of my errands, including a trip to a bank so that I could get rolls of quarters. I'm attempting to collect the entire set of states quarters, and it is MUCH easier to find quarters made in Denver out here in the west. The best part of the day was finding the library, where I holed up to work on my blog. It was quiet, and I was anonymous. It was the quiet time that I'd needed.

On the way back to the dorm, I had to reconquer the gigantic hill from yesterday...which I did without stopping! Yeah for standing!

I'm sending lots more junk home, including my sleeping bag. Despite having more room in my bag, it took a REALLY long time to pack everything. I guess I just had no idea how to put it all away, and how to deal with having so much extra space.

No comments: