Saturday, July 22, 2006

Day 22: South Dakota...you can have it...

95.61 mi 32.0 max 8:43.02 avg 10.9

I don't know what it was about today. The headwinds were strong and absolutely relentless, all day long. I had two flat tires...but I felt great. In the morning, I rode with Steve. We traded jokes, in an effort to find some kind of humor and distraction from the wind. At mile 49, though, he asked me, "Would you be ok if I sagged?" At first, I think the staff might have been concerned that they'd be attempting to fit in two riders in the gear truck (there was only room for one). It was my intention, though, to continue onward, fighting the wind, so it worked out perfectly.

Water was scarce all day, as you can see from the Bad River.

At about mile 60, I passed a VERY small store, where several riders were enjoying ice, shade, and a brief reprieve from the wind. As I rode into the parking area, I asked about the availability of a restroom, and five heads shook no - but there was a place about a half mile up the road. My bladder had reached critical mass, so I wasted no time in visiting with everyone, and took off. As it turned out, when I biked up to the picnic area, two older couples were attempting a picnic in the hurricane. They asked me where I was from and where I was going, and when I told them, they said, "Here, have a banana. Here, have some crackers and ham. Here, have a soda." (actually, they said pop.) I wasn't in the best position to refuse - I was actually very grateful that they were there and enjoyed talking with them (more great people I've met on the road!).

Brian caught up with me at that point, but as soon as Anna passed us, he looked at me and said he was sagging in. For the second time that day, I nodded with empathy, but resolved to continue on to camp despite the conditions. About two miles later, though, Brian got out of the van and decided to keep riding.

I'm not sure who was doing more pulling on the way into camp. With my new hill technique, I was pretty psyched that I could keep up with Brian on the climbs. I drafted a lot, but also counted down: only 15 more miles, with a one mile downhill. I can do another 8 miles today. By this time tomorrow, we'll be done...with our tents set up...and taking a nap...

Pictures were scarce today. I focused on getting myself into camp, and even when I did look around, there really wasn't anything very interesting. Do watch out for the Varmint Hunters Association (VHA).

$10 night - meaning that staff gives us money for us to rustle up our own eats. For Brian & me, dinner was at the Pizza Ranch, across the Missouri River. It did require riding bikes after the ride was over, but my tummy had decided on pizza, and that was the only thing that it would have. By the time the dessert pizza arrived, we were both kinda stuffed, and ended up taking it home (excellent for breakfast, cinnamon & sugar & buttery goodness on a crust). Home is, of course, a tent. That means that I have aromatic leftovers in my tent. Everything in my little backpacking heart says that this is bad Bad BAD!!!!!

No comments: