Saturday, September 09, 2006

Day 39: Cleveland Rocks!




99.42 mi max 39.0 7:24.10 Avg 13.4

The humidity finally broke with a storm that came across Lake Erie. I rode with Debbie R for most of the day (after the flat tire that I got ten miles into the ride). I also rode with a vacationer for a little while. He knew lots about the area, which was cool...including a bit about the guy who'd built himself a place to hide in the event of a nuclear war. He sells them, too, if anyone's interested. "Crazy old nut," was the vacationer's comment.

Anyway, as we were talking, I saw lots of flashing lights up ahead, and I commented, "I hope that's not one of our guys." Sure enough, it was Jim. The ambulance crew already had him collared - his face was all bloody but he was talking. The police officer asked me if I knew him, and when I said yes, motioned for me to stay. Apparently he took quite a header across a ditch in the road - which had been dug up in between when Justin passed through and when Jim did.

Debbie & I took our time. It was nice, especially after having pushed so hard for the last week. Our first rest stop was hosted by a couple, 2 former Big Riders, Stan & Cheryl. More really good food. We also took a detour up to a bike shop - it seems as though the creaky sound in my headset is gone! At the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, Deb and I waited for staff-Mark & Alan - she was finished for the day and I was headed for my hotel.

I met up with Mark at the Gateway Radisson. The general consensus was to walk around a bit, get lunch, and then go back & nap before going out. We had lunch at Panini's, a bar & grill place - not a bad sandwich. It's interesting that they put fries and cole slaw right on their sandwich. It was different but really good. Our walk took us to the science museum - Mark chose to head back, but a chance to hang out in a science museum, even for just an hour, wasn't something I could pass up. My favorite two exhibits were an interactive music lab (it allowed for a lot of improvisation, which was cool) and also a flying simulation over the Grand Canyon. I bounced off of the rocks and hit the water a lot...but it was fun!

Short nap then out for dinner at a fancy brewery and a blueberry beer that was really good. Charlie, Steve, Alice, Mark & I were "the gang"...although Alan showed up later. After, Mark & I went to another bar. We started talking with a couple next to us, and got into a discussion about what had brought us to Cleveland. "We're on a cross-country bike trip to raise money for the American Lung Association," said Mark. "Oh," said the guy. He was a little older, and he put down his cigarette to pull up the side of his shirt, revealing a vivid, pink scar. As a result of his addiction to cigarettes, he'd already had one lung removed...and he was still smoking. I don't get it.

No comments: